Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell, or taste. It can leak into your home from the ground and soil beneath your home. It is common in Wisconsin. Long-term exposure to radon greatly increases the risk of lung cancer. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer. The only way to know if you have radon is to test for it! The Health Department has test kits available for $10.

Your first radon measurement should be made for a minimum of two days in the lowest lived-in level of your home with the windows kept closed. A basement can be considered lived-in if it is occupied at least seven hours per week. Otherwise, the main floor is the best place to test.

Visit www.lowradon.org to learn more information. 

What do the results mean?

  • Radon concentration is measured in pico-Curies of Radiation per Liter of air (pCi/L). The EPA has set the radon standard at 4.0 pCi/L.  Below 4.0 pCi/L, no action is required. When the radon level is above 4.0 pCi/L, it is encouraged to contact Monroe County Health Department for further consult and follow-up actions.
  • Click here to find a certified radon mitigator.